Monday, January 17, 2011

Short and sweet I love

I know I'm behind and I haven't finished my year end review...I'm not sure if it's going to get done! We're settling down from our Holiday traveling/back to school/yucky sickness time, and I'm trying to get back on schedule. And of course, now we have a a four day weekend to break it up further. But the kids have had fun so far and we have a fun idea for today (we're going to paint the snow with spray bottles filled with water and food coloring--hoping that not too much sibling painting will happen). So anyway, I'm trying to get back into my routine now. So here's my I love for this week...
I love...when everyone gets better after a bout with flu or whatever. It makes everything seem brighter! When I could eat again: so happy. I love food, and I hate it when my stomach can't even stomach the thought of ice cream. So we're all eating and enjoying again, we made fajitas yesterday...yummmmm. We even made cupcakes on Friday and decorated them on Sunday (Saturday was a little busy).
I love...the Carl Bloch exhibit over at BYU. The paintings were amazing! Carl Bloch was a painter in the 1800's in Denmark. As a devout Lutheran a lot of his paintings were of Christ's life, eight were for Alter paintings. His style is a lot like Rembrandt, whom he studied, so the effect of light in all his paintings is incredible. The faces are so very detailed and life-like. There were a couple paintings that stood out to me, the one of when they took Christ off the cross to prepare him for burial was beautiful and tender. Another favorite was when Christ was being comforted by an angel in the garden of Gethsemane. The pain and utter exhaustion are shown so clearly, and the tenderness of the angel. Many of the paintings we recognized, the Church uses a lot of them in different publications. Like the one of Elizabeth greeting Mary, the Sermon on the Mount, and the healing at the pool of Bethesda (that one is permanently at BYU, and some of the small etchings, too). If you live any where around Provo, try to come to it before it ends in May. It's free, but you do need to get tickets online at: http://carlbloch.byu.edu/ Do it!
I love...that I'm not scared to go to parent/teacher conferences! We don't have to worry that the teacher despises our kids, or that they've been horrible in class or they're far behind academically. Felicity and Caleb are both doing great, especially in reading (imagine that!). Felicity is starting fractions which she has been struggling with, but I was the same way so I understand what she's going through. If any of you have ideas on how to visually get her to see what fractions are, let me know please! She has been wanting to cook with me alot, which I think will help. Most of my recipes I double or more, so she can start getting that part of it.

All of you have a lovely day! Enjoy the snow before it's all gone!

No comments: