Friday, April 11, 2008

Potty not-so-humor

O.k., so Joseph, who will not be two until the end of June, has recently decided that he needs to be like everyone else and use the potty. We decided to jump right in and put him in underwear, cold turkey. That lasted about two days. After about 15 changes and a nice little puddle on the floor of the city library, I gave up. I still encourage him to use the toilet, and he has gone a little bit, but diapers are my friend. There's a definite difference between the desire to be grown up and the ability to know what's coming.
And in passing, it's still snowing outside. My daffodils haven't bloomed (my crocus have!), and I'm getting twitchy for summer. I have a yard this year, hurrah! I can't wait to plant and weed and actually try out what I learned five years ago in college (I spent my tuition learning about plants, which was more fun than you probably think). Anyway, I'm getting used to the weather here again, which is warmer than Logan or Rexburg or Idaho, but colder than Rough Rock, Arizona. Yes, Amy and Kimberly down in warm Phoenix area, I am a little jealous, but I will let you come visit us any time this July and August that you want to (anytime you want to, really). So, we'll see how this spring turns out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "TruGreen" guy knocked on our door the other day, and he says "we are doing a few yards in your neighborhood and we could give you a free quote/consultation" --I looked around at our weed filled "flower beds" and un-trimmed shrubs.. .and unmowed, patchy lawn, and responded "we are not really lawn people, thanks anyway” I think the neighbors may have sent him over :)As for the potty--Jarrett keeps asking when we will start Ryder(turns 2 at the end of June also), but I'm personally in no hurry--when he is ready it will be a lot easier than trying to tell him he is ready, so we sit on the potty when he wants, but he is still all diapers, and can stay that way for atleast another year for all I care. I hate when parents start to compare "how soon" their child was potty trained--who cares!:)

Regina said...

I am Andrea Warren's sister. I live here in town, it would be so fun to meet, my daughter especially would love meeting a family with kids the same age as ours! Anyway, maybe Andrea sent the link to your blog just now because she new I'd comment on this post. (I write daily potty training tips for parents online.) You are doing everything right on potty training. Don't give up! He is still in the stage of learning an awareness of the need to pee. Unless he pees everytime he sits on the toilet he is probably still learning how to reliably control the muscles that release pee too. The key is to offer the toilet in a CONSISTENT routine everyday (after waking, after meals, diaper changes, before bath/bed, etc.) Only try for about 2 minutes. This is how our Grandmas potty trained! 2-When you go to the bathroom, take him with you and talk about it 3-move his potty to a different location every few days to keep it on his mind 4-try the underwear for a little while each week/day, maybe one accident, whatever you can handle. The accidents are important in developing and keeping an awareness of peeing and he doesn't get it in a disposable diaper. Whenever he pees on the toilet or wets his training pants say "you peed!". This helps him learn what he is supoosed to do. This also seems to help toddlers consolidate their pees into fewer per day. Gradually with the daily potty routine he will choose to pee at potty time instead of in his diaper. It may take days, weeks, or a year. The routine is relaxed though so you don't have to stress about when it happens. Then jump to training pants full time and be extra careful about the potty routine to avoid accidents, maybe have more frequent tries at first. Eventually when you offer to take him potty he will have already gone on his own. You'll use less diapers in the long run, he'll be drier, and most likely he'll be fully trained a bit earlier than otherwise. Good Luck.
I'm returning a book with a chapter on potty training toddlers to the SF library today. It is packed with wisdom on the whole potty training thing. I reccommend this book because it is a gradual stress free approach ideal for toddlers. (If you do pick it up ignore the first few chapters.) "the Diaper Free Baby" by Christine Gross-Loh.

rneweyfamily said...

Hey, I've been making cloth diapers. That way they can still feel when they are wet, but they are easier to get on and off than an pair of wet, or messy, underpants. I'm hoping when the time comes it will be easier to train Michael than Lindsey has been.