I was going to wait to write about our cats until they actually have names, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen. One day a few days before Insane Week began I was watching my kids play with our friends' cats and I commented quite innocently that someday we'd have to get a cat. And later that day Felicity said that she wanted a pet. A horse, really, but any pet would do, even a Zhu Zhu Pet. Which made me laugh and I thought about how we had promised our kids gold fish after the April Fools Day joke a couple years ago. And I thought, yeah, we'll get a pet someday, just not today. Yes, I was just tempting fate. That night Farris called from work asking if we needed anything from the store, he was going to stop on his way home. No, we're doing good. Then he got home with a super serious face. And asked me to come out to the car. I was pretty sure he hadn't been in a car accident, but I was a little nervous. But peeking out of a cat carrier was two kittens, a girl that's gray with a white belly and legs, and a black with white belly, feet, and nose boy. The kids, of course, immediately fell in love, and I have to admit that I love cats, and I've missed having any around. The cats took a little more time getting used to the kids, and found lots of high places they could hide. Once the kids were asleep that first night, the two kitties ran around exploring, climbing and sometimes snatching a bite of our toes. Now that they're settled in they still do all of that, only with more toe-snatching. They are wiggly, playful little guys (err, girl and guy). The black one still has zero patience with the kids, Seth comes up several times a day pointing to his hand saying "Cat! Bite!" but the gray one just hangs limp and lets the kids do all kinds of extraordinary things to her. No dressing up yet, but I'm sure that will follow. As for names, the black cat we were going to name Chimney Sweep (he climbed our fireplace almost to the ceiling that first night), and the gray one we're thinking DC for Darn Cat or Mazie (which I'm voting for). Now I'm thinking we should name the black one DC, because he's the one who always gets into trouble (I could easily call him SC for Stupid Cat) and then Mazie for the gray one. One of my friends laughed and told me that we didn't have this much trouble naming our kids, which is true, although we wanted to name the kids before we left the hospital, and almost didn't get it done twice (It took a bit of persuasion for Caleb to become Caleb and both of us were stumped on Seth's middle name which turned out to be Gavid). But we'll eventually name them, just like I will eventually get pictures of them on this blog. Now if I knew any of the words from Cats, I'd sing them, but sorry, we sang along with Starlight Express, Phantom, or Les Mis more.
No comments:
Post a Comment