Monday, May 2, 2011

What should we feel about this?

Since this is my "journal," I need to record a few things I'm feeling today. Don't get scared away, these are just a few thoughts and I'm the one putting them out into Blogland, and I would even like to get your thoughts on today's news.
This morning we turned on the radio to get the weather and the first thing we heard was "President Obama announced late last night that Osama Bin Laden is dead." The kids, of course, kept eating their breakfast, but Farris and I turned to each other, chins on the floor. We hadn't been married quite a year when 9/11 happened. Farris was schooling (yes, a word) and working for the Herald Journal and I was schooling and working for Anderson's. Farris had gone into work while I was getting ready for school and he called me with the news that Something Big was Happening in New York. What a day! I went to some classes and spent time at friends apartments watching the news. Horrible, horrifying, insane, scary. The pictures are still heartbreaking, so many stories of families being hurt, sobs and cries of gladness, heroics and miracles upon miracles. I still remember the title on a news story from the Herald Journal that said "A Day of Infamy."
And now that evil person behind it is dead. What do I feel? Sad would have to be the first feeling. I know he was an evil person and the only way to stop him was to STOP him permanently. But I still feel sad; not that he is gone, I believe that is justice. Maybe it's that such a person existed, and hurt so many and deluded so many into hurting people. I'm angry that they found him living in a huge luxury home. While so many people who followed him and so many people who were affected by him live in absolute squalor. He even encouraged the opium trade in Afghanistan to fund his horrible mission, how many people are hooked on opium so that he could live the high life while directing evil acts? I feel sad that even though he is gone, what he led is still alive and prospering. I'm worried for the world that my kids are growing up in. Yes, I do know how it will end (thankfully!) but it's the between time that I'm a little nervous about.
I am grateful for our military and their tenaciousness, their intelligence, and how much they have given up to make our world safer. One of my brother's friends was in Special Op.s, and when he came back from Iraq a few years ago, his sister worried for him. She said he had changed inside--hurting, not angry, and that he still can't tell his family where he was or what he did, probably glad he had been ordered not to. He's doing well now, he's a professor at some college, but the things he saw or did have changed him. I wonder what he thinks of this news. What all those wonderful people in the military are thinking, feeling. Relief? Joy tempered with memories of their time in Iraq and Afghanistan?
How did people feel when Hitler died? It almost feels too big, too important and ominous for me to understand now, ask me in twenty years.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Yeah, that is how Mom feels too.