Monday, September 9, 2013

A Trip to the M...useum with (no Russ) Ellen

Ha.  Unless you've been to the Shoshone Showhouse (our local movie theater when I was a kid) you probably won't get the title, but I couldn't resist.

But for those who haven't seen the childhood classic, A Trip to the Movies With Russ and Ellen, I'll just get started.  We went to Thanksgiving Point's dinosaur museum with my Aunt Ellen, several cousins, and a lot of kids that I couldn't count because they were constantly moving.  My cousin Amy, who used to be called "me'n'amy" at my house because of how quickly I would tell of our latest adventures, was there with her cute kids.  Amy has lived in Washington state, then Washington DC area and was on her way to Italy because her husband is in the Navy.  Every time she moves I vow that I will go visit her, and then three years are up and I haven't.  So we don't get to see each other very often.  But I have a HUGE desire to go see her in Italy since I've wanted to get there from way back when I fell in love with the movie Roman Holiday and any little tidbits I ever heard, read, or saw about Venice. We've got three years to save some money and an invite to stay with them if we get can get there.  I can always dream, right?  Anyway, it was fun to see her again, even though we were chasing kids the whole time.
 We happened to go on the day that everything was themed with Harry Potter.  My kids were enthralled.  Now, my kids have always been a little sensitive when it comes to somewhat scary things, so I've only let Felicity and Caleb read the first three Harry Potters and I've told them they can't watch any of the movies until they've read the book that goes with it.  I love the series, I think JK Rowling did an amazing job inventing a world and her writing is wonderful, but I want my kids to be a little older before they get to scary Voldemort coming back to life.  But whether they have read any of the books at all, they still understand that Harry Potter is pretty cool, so they loved all the extra things that were around the museum.
 Before we even went in, they were able to be sorted into houses and meet Hedwig. 
 At the beginning of the museum, they have a special display called Tinkering, it's filled with all kinds of hands on experiments and things they can bang, throw, run and basically tinker with.  We could have spent a few hours in there easily.
 On that day, they also had Ollivander's Wand Shop and each of the kids got to make their own wand.  Most of which were promptly lost in the museum.  I think we made it home with two of the five.  But they enjoyed it anyway!
 One favorite part of the museum is where they can build sand bars and rivers, make islands for dinosaurs and then watch as the river erodes it all away.  I think they just like the excuse to get wet and dirty!
 And we always have to pose in front of the giant shark head.  It's a good thing they have their magic wands!
 And then at the end they all get to fill every crevice in their clothes with sand while they uncover the dinosaur bones.  They love this part, too, and they would have stayed longer if they weren't getting so hungry for lunch.
 Abby thought it was fantastic to dig in the sand until she got a face full of it.  Then she was pretty much done.
 A not great picture of our group, but it's hard to get everyone to sit still when they know they're about to get ICE CREAM! At Thanksgiving Point they have a little ice cream shop where you can get fifty cent ice cream cones, and our hungry kids were...really hungry.
  We ate them outside on the tables and Felicity took my camera to get a few fun pictures while all of us adults were still gabbing.  And when Joseph sees a camera, he has to jump in front of it.
 I think this is one of my favorite pictures ever of Abigail.
 Casting spells with the wands (before we lose them).
 My sweet, silly, happy boys.  After we finished at the museum, we headed over to Aunt Ellen's house to chat some more while the kids played, played, played. They love Aunt Ellen's house, and so do I.

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to throw in a few more pictures from the beginning of July.  

Can you see who is making the ruckus in this picture?

 Yes, that would be Daddy.  Because of our hard tile floors, any wrestling that goes on upstairs has to be on the couches.  And sometimes ends up with bumped heads or backsides.  But that doesn't stop the pile up when dad starts his tickling. 
 
Does it make you think of Andre the Giant in The Princess Bride when he talks about how he uses different moves for fighting lots of men than he does with just one?  Yeah, Farris isn't afraid to wrestle with five and, like Andre, he actually comes out on top most of the time.
 And then I have to share these pictures from Abigail and Big Brother Joseph.  I found them one day sitting on the couch, with Joseph reading to her.  Makes me smile.
 These two have a lot of their personalities in common.  Oh, it's going to be interesting to watch these two extroverts bursting out of our fairly introverted family.  They keep things exciting.

No comments: