Happy Forth of July! Even though I'm actually posting this on September 1st, hopefully this picture will get you in the patriotic mood.
--------------
Our 4th of July has lots of traditions, the setting for all the festivities is my dad's hometown of Huntsville. It's grown a lot since I was little, but they do their best to have a small town feel to all the 4th of July goings-on. My Aunt and Uncle own the house my grandpa built for my grandma when they were engaged. It always feels just a little bit like stepping back into time when I go there, especially the '50's style kitchen and sitting room that haven't changed much since grandma was alive. Grandma had very classic taste and I love the feel of things worn well through time. My kids don't notice the details in the house, they just settle right in to chasing, giggling, and playing hard until they drop with their cousins.
Mom and Dad have brought their two hammocks the last few years, but if you want to sit in them be prepared for some competition, they are well liked. This time the kids decided that there needed to be a "boy's hammock" and a "girl's hammock." Poor Reid is trying to keep his hammock from collapsing, but it's hard when you've got four little boys bouncing and rocking and basically trying to collapse it.
The girls hammock was a little quieter, but there was plenty of giggling and a little tipping, too.
Elizabeth, of course, is completely shocked at their behavior.
After we've all eaten and cleaned up, it's time for the parade. This year we had a bunch of our Trickler cousins come, too. It was fun to see them, especially my cousin Amy who had been living in DC, and is now in Italy. I haven't seen her and her family as much as I would like to, and it will probably be a while until I see her again, so it was fun catching up while chasing babies together. Farris' sister and her family came again, too, it's a fun tradition to have them come up every year. Scott runs the 10K with Farris and Cindi and I have a chance to catch up while the kids all run wild together.
The kids took Melissa's camera and had loads of fun with it.
Mom always brings something for the kids to hold (or occasionally throw) during the parade. A favorite is when she brings little flags for everyone.
Abby snuggled right into my cousin Travis. I think she melted his heart a little bit.
She looks like she's planning some dastardly deed, doesn't she.
Every year the parade starts with some men and boys in Revolutionary War costumes and a very old, very loud cannon. Very loud.
The boys.
Michael has four sisters. He's always so glad when my three boys come!
That was Abby's popcorn. At least in her little head is was.
Here's a shot of most of our group. I think it's the biggest we've had yet! Poor Aunt DaNeice got invaded this year, but she's such a sweet softie, I think she enjoyed it very much.
After the parade we headed back to the house for a yummy lunch and lots more chatting and playing. That gorilla gets carried all over the place.
Aunt DaNiece and Dad went for a ride. Dad hadn't been on a bike for years, but I think he enjoyed going around the block a few times. I loved seeing this.
In the last few years we've started a tradition of watching the fireworks from the backyard and then have our own show with glowsticks. The kids dance and run and have light saber fights and generally have a blast until they are so exhausted they can't see straight. Then it's back into the tents until we pack up in the morning. So much fun every year.


















1 comment:
I love the picture of Elizabeth looking shocked.
Post a Comment