This August we had the best weekend. My nephew Tanner was coming back from his mission in Ohio days before his younger brother Blake left on his mission to Norway. Tanner flew into the Salt Lake airport on Saturday, so we met him there. I don't have any pictures because we were running just a bit behind because of road construction on the freeway (curse you, Lehi!) so I hurried, hurried, hurried and forgot my camera in our van. Farris was recovering from his bout with whatever Felicity had had on her birthday, so he stayed at home and I toted the kids to see their cousin that we all missed and are so proud of. We ran into the airport and were so close to the baggage claim, we just had to go down the escalator, the kids ran for it, and I started to...when I realized Seth wasn't coming. The boy was completely horrified of the escalator and refused to go anywhere near it. I offered to carry him down, but then he just wouldn't get any where near me and was hiding behind some chairs in the corner. Poor kid. Luckily Melissa came to the rescue and helped us find the elevator and then she helped Dad and Mom find the right baggage area, and then Tanner came down the stairs and made us all cry. It was so, so good to see him again. I've told him but I don't know if he realizes what a great influence he has been on my kids. We love him around here quite a bit. We all stood around talking and crying and taking pictures, pretty much what always goes on in the airport when you see Welcome Home Elder/Sister posters, and it was wonderful. Then we drove home as fast as we could (through a huge downpour with several inches of standing water on the freeway and the road construction again) so we could take family pictures. After the crazy huge rainstorm, we were worried we wouldn't be able to take the pictures, but it was a fast moving storm and was gone when we got to Nephi. I'll post them later in one big post. The pictures were great, it was a happy, happy day. The next day Tanner reported on his mission and Blake gave his farewell. How blessed we are to have these young men in our family! Chad and Tarilynn raised some good kids. Blake is going to be a great missionary, he's kind and fun and smart and mature and so excited to serve the Lord. He's in Norway right now, his first week there, and his excitement and happiness pour through his emails. Abby has been in love with Blake this summer, she always asks about him and gets excited when she sees him. Since he left she keeps asking for him and is confused when we say he's gone on a mission. I want to keep showing her his picture so she'll remember him two years from now. And actually right now she's sitting next to me pointing to him in the picture and saying "Blake's on mission. Blake's on mission."
Here's the family, enduring more pictures! After the homecoming/farewell and the food and after everyone left they were able to go be together as a family for a couple days before Blake left for the MTC on Wednesday. Before Blake gets home, Jacob will leave for his mission and then there will be a little while before Reid goes. And then Felicity is the next up...but I'm afraid to think that far ahead!
Jacob stylin' with his Captain America socks. Oh, yeah. And he didn't wear them like that to church, don't worry.
Abigail peeking through the window. Then she came outside and...
they all scared her. And I keep talking about what a nice family they are. Hmmmm.
This is one of my favorite, favorite pictures. Those boys love their little sister. And she loves them back.
The boys! Look at all that crazy goodness lined up there! When Farris and I got married, Reid was a little guy and Jacob refused to be in any pictures. Like 'he thought it was going to take away his soul' refuse. Tanner and Blake called Farris That Guy but loved to wrestle and play tickle games and chase him. Now they do that for our little ones, and now I'm getting all old and sentimental. Oh, my, how time does fly.
No comments:
Post a Comment