Thursday, August 21, 2008

1st grade happiness/blues

Felicity started first grade yesterday, it was her first full day of school with eating lunch and everything. She enjoyed it, but said the day was really long. She said the teacher told her the days wouldn't be so long soon( I think the teacher said feel so long), and she was wondering how early she got to come home today. That took a little bit of explaining, and I think she was still a little skeptical of my explanation. Farris is driving her and one of her friends into school, and then her friend's mom is bringing them home in the afternoon. It's nice because I don't have to hurry so much in the mornings, but I'm still a little jealous. I love to watch these tiny little kids walking so happily and confidently into a huge school (OK, it's not huge, it's just a lot bigger than what I was used to!). Sigh, the inconsistencies of being a mom. Caleb was a little grumpy when she left yesterday morning, he refused to give Farris and Felicity hugs, I think he's jealous. He does get excited when we say that he gets to go to Kindergarten next year. I don't think Joseph noticed much, but he was delighted to see her when she got back. There was a little less arguing in the house. I shut Felicity's door so Joseph couldn't go in and mess up her markers and crayons, which is a huge source of contention in our home. Someone told me that first graders change so much in the first few months of school, with confidence and independence growing. That is another inconsistency, it makes me want to cry and to smile. I know I have a long way to go before she's gone, but it's still one of those apron strings getting cut. Goodness, I think I better go have a good cry. Or just play with the boys while I still have them all the time. Maybe both.

2 comments:

Idaho Spuds said...

Wow, full days of school! I understand your feelings. Not looking forward to Monday./but I am.

rneweyfamily said...

Taylor has full days of school. I wish that I had a little more time with her during the day, but she loves it.