Wednesday, March 9, 2011

weekend, spring, similes with Joseph

I'm catching up. If you just want a laugh, skip to the bottom for Similes With Joseph.

This weekend was wonderful and busy. My sweet niece Rylee was baptized and she asked me to give the talk about the Holy Ghost. Recently I went to a special RS meeting where a man and his wife talked about making stain glass windows for many of the temples, and about light, and how it compares with what Heavenly Father does for us (this was an amazing meeting, I'll have to write up some of my favorite stuff some time). They shared a favorite quote from Plato something like "The shadow of God is Light" and one of my favorite quotes from CS Lewis is "The Son is like the sun, not that we can see Him, but that because of Him we can see everything" (not an exact quote, but the gist. And I have to admit I have only read the Narnia series and the Screwtape Letters, I got the quote at Institute from wiser people than me). Anyway, back to the topic, I compared the Holy Ghost to a flashlight. I was going to make a little stain glass (fake, I'm not that talented) window for Rylee, but the glue I used is apparently not to be used with glass, and it never dried. **Anyone know a good glue for non-porous materials that dries very clear?** All in all, it was a beautiful baptism and the Spirit was strong. Two of her older brothers were able to be the witnesses, and her oldest brother stood in the circle to give her the gift of the Holy Ghost. Lucky girl, she's the youngest in a family of five--and the only girl. She's the automatic Princess of the House, and the boys are so good to her. And terrific news (for us!) came this week. Rylee's dad, my older brother, accepted a job in our corner of the woods, and they'll be moving to a town near here in the next couple of months. Yahoo! Very excited! It'll be a blast to have family a lot closer to us, and they are a great family. After the baptism it was yummy lunch (thanks Tarilynn!) and lots of chatting with family. My family likes to talk and laugh while kids run around and entertain us. Then, it was a quick run to Burley for Farris' brother Sam's fiance Kolleen's bridal shower (got that?). Kolleen is going to be a lot of fun to have in the family, I hope we didn't embarrass her too much at the shower...their wedding is in about a month in Idaho Falls, very excited for them. It was nice to have some chatting time with Farris' mom and sisters and sis in laws, we don't see them enough either, although we missed Desi and her too-brand-new-to-come baby. But we have plans to make dresses or skirts or something for the girls for the wedding. Which is in a month. Which we'd better get started on soon...eep. After the shower we went to Mom and Dad's and then church in my home ward for Sunday (how comfortable is it to go back home? love it) and then the long drive home again. My brother caught a ride with us so he could start training for his new job, it will be fun to have him around us for the next while. Sorry this was so long...

But Spring! Is coming! My bulbs are shooting up, my crocus have been blooming right through snowstorms, and the kids have been playing outside occasionally the last few days. I know, I know, we'll have at least one more snowstorm, probably more, but we're getting to the end! I'm thinking planting, raking, pruning, fixing, trimming, digging, watering, and all the outside stuff to do and since it's spring I'm still excited about all that work!

And now for that special time, Similes with Joseph:
We cleaned his room, and he proclaimed "It's as clean as a pancake!"
My sis's were telling him about something that was cool (slang cool, not temp cool) and he said "That rocks like a rubber band!"
No cliche's here, it's all original.

No comments: