Saturday, April 13, 2013

Oh, What fools we mortals be!

I'm...not really sure that's really a quote.  I'm pretty sure Shakespeare said something like that.  Yes, Happy April Fool's Day!
So, April 1st (by the way, happy birthday to my nephew, Michael.  When he was born we weren't sure if Robert was kidding or not) was the first day of spring break this year. And every year, Farris has some fun thing planned to tease the kids.  Remember the fish?  Now our kids start getting jumpy a couple weeks before April and even begin making devious plans to get him back.  Here's the first one of the day this year:
 Felicity put a little puddle of water on Farris' chair before he ate breakfast.  The note says "pay back Dad!  April 1st"  Unfortunately, Farris just happened to pick another chair that morning and didn't even notice it.  But they were undeterred and began planning for when Daddy came back from work.  And then they happily went their spring break fun way.  Little did they know.              
 My kids.  So gullible and trusting.  They love canned fruit, particularly fruit cocktail.  I'm not sure, I think it's the maraschino cherries. So for lunch I brought up a four cans and let them open the cans up.  Caleb was astonished to find it with only water in it.  Felicity was making toast in the background, demanding that we never buy this brand of canned fruit again.

Caleb tried the next can at my suggestion.  Joseph was shaking the cans to see if he could hear the fruit.  We ended up opening three cans with only water in them.  And the kids some how missed the significance of me taking pictures and giggling quietly while they tried to figure this out.  Joseph even was wondering why there was glue all over the bottom. 

And, just like with the fish, Joseph was the first to have the light dawn.  His eyebrows went up very far on his forehead, "MOM!"  I think they were so worried about Dad, they forgot about me.  It was the year of Mom. 
By the way, I found the idea on Pinterest, here's the link: http://www.cometogetherkids.com/2011/03/april-fools-candy-in-fruit-can.html
Except I was cheap and only refilled it with water instead of candy.  And since we don't have one of those handy-dandy take off the whole top can opener, I tried to put the lids back on with a whole lot of glue.  Next time, I'll put the water in a ziplock bag so it still has the weight and the slosh but I won't have to completely seal it off, the water started leaking out of one of the cans half way through this, but the kids still didn't suspect me.  And next year I'm going to have to check every chair for water before I sit down.

1 comment:

Julie said...

That was awesome! So funny.