Ooops, I'm getting a little behind on the journaling for my challenge. This is going to be a long one. Sorry.
Last week I decided to read in Jesus the Christ every day. How did that affect me? Well, first let me say that it isn't the easiest reading! Many times I'd get to the end of a paragraph and I'd say huh? and go start over again. But I love learning these interesting things about the Saviors life and how His world was. Part that I read was about the Samaritans. I always thought that the they were part Jew, part Gentile, but they are actually part Gentile, part of the Lost Tribes or Israelites. I know, I know, I was thinking umm, is there a difference between Jews and Israelites? Yes, there is. Remember in Seminary/Institute learning about how the 12 Tribes split after Solomon died, the tribe of Judah and half of Benjamin and a few odds and ends following Solomon's son and the other tribes following the other guy (their names are Jeroboam and Reoboam, I just don't remember which is which). So, the ones that followed Solomon's son took the name Jew (Jew, Judah) and the others took the name Israelites. I have no idea how this all works into modern day Israel. Anyway, eventually the 10 Tribes were conquered and scattered, but part of them remained behind and repopulated the country with the Gentiles that had conquered them. So the religion they practiced was a little Jewish and a little Gentilish, they had historically deserted the rightful King, and they couldn't be clean because they couldn't come to Jerusalem to worship at the temple, add it together and that is why the super strict Jews hated them and the Samaritans thumbed their noses at the Jews. Or whatever the culture's expression of "Whatever" was at that time. Huh. I know, not terribly exciting, but I thought it was kind of an A-Ha moment, and I understood the why's of our Sunday School lesson on the Woman at the Well a little better. So last weeks Happiness Tool stretched me a little and gave me some insights as I study the New Testament this year. This week I've been feeling yucky more, so I've slacked again. But I've been reading the Ensign with my breakfast and I've found some wonderful articles that I need at this time.
This week I decided to do the Happiness Tool: Share the Good News: Write in your journal about some good news you shared with someone else and how it impacted your positive outlook on life.
As I was scanning through the list of tools, I almost laughed. What a perfect week to share The Good News! So background: After Seth, even though he was such a good baby, very mellow, I thought we were done, no more kids. We'd always talked about having five kids, but with three running crazy while I was nursing, I was very tired. And then...I had a feeling that we needed to have another baby. I don't get these kind of Feelings a lot, I guess I need to work on being more in tune, but this was a strong one. So while I'm sitting on my bed in the middle of the day because I feel awful from morning sickness, at least I know that I'm doing what I'm supposed to! And then after about a month of it, I still know I'm doing the right thing, but my stomach is defiantly overriding any feel-good feelings about being pregnant. Then on Monday I went to the doctor, she's great, and we told the kids that night during Family Home Evening. Seth, of course, has no idea he's about to be supplanted as the Baby (that's going to be interesting), but the other kids were so excited. I think they were glad, too, to know what was wrong with tired, cranky, somewhat sick mom. Felicity immediately started talking to the baby and they were trying to decide boy or girl (Felicity wants another boy--she enjoys reigning as Supreme Sister and Caleb thought we needed another girl, Joseph was pretty much just jumping up and down). What makes you feel better than joy coming from loved ones? Stomach yuckiness--gone. Yeah, it came back, but any relief is good. Then on Tuesday I called my parents and bros and sis's. I had Felicity call my parents, they were delighted. Then she called her cousin Rylee so Rylee could tell her family. Chad and Tarilynn had pretty much guessed at Christmas time, anyway (I swear I did not say four and a half kids, Tarilynn!). As I worked my way down the family I felt happier and more excited. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about having baby #5 even without people telling me they are excited, just sometimes I catch my breath thinking, whoa, can I really do this??? But sharing happiness with loved ones rebounds it right back to you, it makes me feel stronger having their support and love. And when I'm focusing more on good, my stomach doesn't complain as much. I also put on here and on Facebook my hints and it was fun to read comments from friends and more family. Yes, Amy, rolls would be good, too. Hmmmmm, I might have to get some started... So sharing good news has helped me physically and mentally and especially emotionally. I know in most parts of the country telling people that I'm about to have kid #5 would get winces and probably a few lectures on responsibility, but I am very grateful for the people around me that have cheered and hugged and wanted to help. This week I also had to share bad news, my dentist told me I needed a root canal. I've never had one and I have heard horror stories...I was worried about the medicine I would need and how it would affect the baby and I was worried about the pain (low tolerance me. And yet I've had four babies...they are worth it), and worried more about the baby. As I shared the bad news, I still got support (no cheers) and hugs, and that helped me a little, but dwelling on it wasn't good. Sharing good news boosts you up, sharing bad news helps because you get reassurance and support but the good news is definitely better. I've wandered enough in this topic, so I'll finish now. Shout your good news from the roof tops and let people enjoy it with you!
p.s. More good news: the root canal was much, much easier than I thought it would be. I can't eat on that side of my mouth yet but I don't have to take pain killers. My imagination of the doing was much worse than the actual doing.
2018 Lego Story Art
8 years ago
2 comments:
Wow..the Samaritans thing was interesting that's a lot to figure out! I just love little a-ha moments. I've almost started that book a couple of times....maybe soon...or maybe when I get a little more sleep...
and good job on tour happiness tools.
We had that same thought with jacob and Rylee...otherwise they might not be here. So happy they both are. I believed your denial at Christmas. Does that make you a fibber? :) Love your blog. You have such a positive attitude.
Post a Comment